Development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014

Current topics

Development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014

Postby d31373 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:15 pm

d31373

Re: Development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014

Postby d31373 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:18 pm

I don't see how they intend Windows 7 (non-Ultimate/Enterprise) to encrypt system disks.
d31373

Postby SoBeTRoLL » Thu May 29, 2014 12:12 pm

I don't see how other operating systems are going to be encrypted now. It's not like bitlocker is on every version of Windows 7, or even available for alternative operating systems. I'm not a fan, it feels like a copout "well they have bitlocker now, guess my work is done". No, it's still a viable system of encryption that you developed, that people use. I don't like the idea of using proprietary unknown software to encrypt my systems. I want to have something that is NOT made by Microsoft simply for the fact that I have no idea if Microsoft has installed a backdoor into their encryption software. Obviously we can tell with a program like Truecrypt because its open source, the code is there for everyone to see, but when you have giant corporations like Microsoft giving you an encryption program that you CAN'T see the code for, I'm immediately hesitant to use it at all.
SoBeTRoLL

Postby d31373 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:14 pm

TrueCrypt is not the ONLY encryption software out. There are plenty of Open Source projects like encryptfs and gpg. I liked TrueCrypt because its ease of use and cross-platform design. You are correct that we can verify the legitimacy of the standards in which the encryption software claims to employ due to the Open Source nature of the software. There is a community which has audites the code yet we have not heard anything about the supposed gaping holes in the security TrueCrypt provides. And yes Microsoft has plenty of methods of disabling or circumventing the encryption on a bitlockered machine, but that's true of nearly every fulldisk encryption software that stores the passphrase in memory to keep the volume unlocked.
d31373

Return to News